Thursday, February 7, 2013

50-75


My main impression of Manju is that she is a smart young lady. Her genuine curiosity and kindness are, I feel, some of her best qualities. For example, when the outcast dancer comes to the temple, Manju wants to stay and watch the performance. In contrast to Asah, Manju is not seeking to exploit the dancer in any way, she just wanted to watch out of genuine curiosity. In addition to that, teaching the students on a regular regiment also demonstrates her sense of responsibility over greed for the money given to the family from the government.
Manju really reminds me of one of my family friends, Mary Gelder. Mary worked with my mother for a time and they really bonded, so when my mom switched jobs, we all kept in touch. Now Mary lives a few blocks from my grandmother’s house and for a while she hired my dad to help her teach computer classes to the kids on her street. She paid my dad after he lost his job and financed the renovation of her basement into a spacious computer lab with six brand new computers, software packages, and two new cameras. In addition, since she is a very talented pianist, she teaches piano lessons for free out of her home.  She has also made huge contributions to each of our college funds while encouraging us to do well in school and complete high school.
I feel like the main things that make up Manju’s identity are common courtesy and the will power to better herself. She demonstrates this while teaching the children and in her silent rage about Mr. Kamble’s heart valve loan, which Asha denies.

No comments:

Post a Comment