Thursday, February 28, 2013

For 2/28


I would say that the most important thing I learned style wise from Katherine Boo would be how to write in an unbiased way.  It’s very difficult to write about something without accidently getting a thought of your own mixed in.  This can saw the reader’s opinion on the topic to however you presented it, so it is important to try to keep things neutral so that the reader can make their own decisions on the topic.  I think one of the most difficult times to keep a neutral outlook when writing is during a fight: but Boo is able to on pages 88-89 during the fight between Fatima and Zehrunisa.  Then again one page 93 when Kehkashan and Fatima fight the reader is not told anything that would make them choose one side of the fight over the other, they get to choose who they think is right on their own.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers overall has made me more aware on how some people have to live in order to survive, which makes me more thankful that I am as fortunate as I am not to have to live as they do.  My only criticism is that from the way I was reading the book I kept forgetting that this actually happened, to me it felt more like Boo created everything she wrote about.  Usually I don’t have this problem when reading nonfiction books.  I’m not sure if it was just the way I was reading it or if it was because of the style Boo used.    

No comments:

Post a Comment