Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ch. 9


One thing I fond interesting was the fact that parents and grandparents seriously spoil their one (grand)child.  It seems that if they can afford to spoil their child, they may be able to afford the taxes they would have to pay for having a second child if the couple they really wanted to have another, which it sounded to me like most people do.  Also, Asians are generally stereotyped to be stricter than other ethnicities and well mannered, but in Dodson’s description of these rude children demanding dishes from fast food chains sounds more like greedy American children.  I suppose it’s another way that China is becoming more westernized.

A thing that I found surprising was how children bring hired boyfriends and girlfriends home for the Spring Festival that they found online, and the parents are none the wiser.  I would have thought that they would start hearing about how people make advertisements searching for someone with specific characteristics so that they can be introduced as a boyfriend or girlfriend to show off to the family.  I also thought they were following a kind of romantic ideology that these pretend couples would end up forming an attraction and end up actually dating.   

At the moment I don’t think that the United States needs a population policy, but if it ever were to need one I think the limit should be two children, to act as a replacement for the parents when they die.  The population would then stay pretty much at a steady level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment