Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dodson Ch.10 Response

It seems that Chinese psychology is one of supremacy. By the way Dodson describes, it seems China takes a stand point that, if it were more volatile, seems dangerous to me. I've never liked the idea of a society thinking anything close to some of the thoughts Dodson expressed were present in the Chinese mind. Dodson stated that in Chinese psychology speaking another language made one feel more barbaric, and that they tended to elevate themselves above other people. This is a practice with which, in a world trying to reach equality, I do not find okay. Patriotism or nationalism is one thing, but a supremist mindset is a horse of a different color.

I am not sure whether or not I believe this idea that Dodson puts forth, however. Simply put, I haven't quite seen it demonstrated before, an thus I am willing to give China the benefit of the doubt. To experiment this, I feel you would need to do a sort of survey-and-interview of a representative sample of the Chinese people on their feelings towards foreigners, as well as maybe put some Chinese in the situation of dealing with a foreigner or foreigners and gauging their behaviors towards this person as opposed to another Chinese person.

All in all, can we truly know what is in the mind of the whole country based on just a few claims? Not a mere fraction can always represent the whole, something I felt was apparent in society today. Thus, my conclusion is one of uncertainty...I suppose without being Chinese myself, I don't quite have access to the Chinese mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment