Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chapter 9


First, I really found that the way the Chinese people have to fight to keep their babies interesting. The fact that a Chinese families are required to pay a fee in order to keep their children, or bribe officials, seems completely ridiculous to me. I found this information so interesting because, as we discussed in class, it seems crazy that people would try to regulate something as basic as childbirth and parenting.

Next, I found that the Chinese stance on marriage and child reproduction. With so many people are being forced out of the country to find wives and kidnap them back into the country. If someone is so unfortunate not to get a wife by a certain age, they are deemed by society as a failure. This message is so contradictory to their one child law and fees and restrictions that it makes no sense. Personally, I find these two opposing policies very confusing and if I lived there I know I would be endlessly frustrated with these policies.

Finally, I found the fact that the population issues in China were caused by Mao’s policies alone. This surprised me because of how ingrained his polices seemed to become to the people and the culture of China.

I think the main difference is that the United States population boom and decline seems to the caused by the economy’s ups and downs. This is a self regulating system, I feel, that exists in our capitalist country. However, in China, where capitalism is there, but communism still prevails, I feel there is a much larger struggle for people to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment