Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chapter 5 Response



   For the most part, I feel indifferent in my response to China’s natural resources and energy needs. It is something that greatly affects countries everywhere, yet I didn’t find myself connecting to this portion of the chapter like I did with others. I can say that it is incredible the impact China’s consumption and energy source does impact our way of life in the United States as well. I agree with Dodson predicting China’s future, I didn’t see anything wrong with his claim. If I were describing China’s future, my analysis would have probably fallen under the same lines. The only thing that comes to mind that is not necessarily taken into consideration is the possible chance China could have to prosper or improve the bad habit they have of overusing all of their resources. Dodson’s reasoning definitely applies to the U.S. as well. With the idea of modernization, countries like the U.S have also joined the bandwagon of using up too many resources. The U.S. also risks living a cycle of decline within these resources.  The rate in which the United States uses these means may not be as great as China due to the population difference, but if the rate isn’t limited or kept in check it may very well result in “a disaster that is avoidable”. I don’t think the U.S. will ever be the same as China just because it is such a big difference of numbers, but it is very likely that if the U.S. continues to prosper, its future will be very similar to China’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment